Any player can set up an Ortus Arena tournament to arrange exciting battles between cunning Warlords, eager to show their tactical skills. To give you a helping hand we (the Ortus team) have put some things together to make it easier to organize a tournament.
- The organizer makes preparations and puts everything into place, using the tournament template to plan things easily
- (s)He promotes the tournament online to get many warriors to show their skills
- During the tournament, the organizer deals with anomalies with the help of the players
- Afterwards the results are proudly presented
There are two kinds of tournaments:
- 3-4 player tournaments: when you want to have a good and exciting mental challenge.
Features: decreased match-duration, fixed match-schedule, opponent matched on strength, 3 games each tournament, tournament ranking.
- Random tournaments: when you want to play more relaxed with not to much obligations.
Features: no schedule, normal match-duration, no game limit, random opponent, leave when you want, tournament ranking.
- Create a new tournament schedule by:
- Making a copy of the template spreadsheet in this online directory. You need to be logged in with a google account to do this
- Renaming your copy using the date and time of the tournament. For example: “20 dec. 16:00 +1 ETC Ortus Tournament”
- Filling in the following metrics of the tournament in this new spreadsheet: name organizer, tournament date and time. For the 3/4 tournament you also define the match- and breaktime for each phase
- Note 1: only the turquoise colored fields can be edited by players. You can edit everything since you created the copy
- Note 2: the template automates most of the tournament process. So if everything goes according to plan, not much has to be done by the organizer during the tournament.
- Make a post in the Ortus battleground to announce your tournament and in which you communicate during the tournament. Mention at least the date and time, the (editable) link to your own tournament spreadsheet so people can subscribe, and a link to the subscribe instruction
- Get a lot of Warlords subscribed for your tournament by promoting it online, for example:
Start and during the tournament
- Make the pool selection 15-10 minutes before the start by (automatically) sorting the Warlords on presence and experience levels
- Players will automatically be assigned to a certain pool and within a time schedule. They can see themselves who they are playing against and when
- When there is a pool of three players, write ‘no opponent’ in the 4th position. During each round, one player then has a break of 25 minutes.
- Instruct players to fill in their scores themselves
- Check if things run smoothly during the tournament: are scored filled, is everybody playing, handle questions
- After phases one, players can determine if they want to have a tournament based on previous scores (=Phase 2). Then they will be assigned to other players that have the same strength: winners against winners, losers against losers.
After the tournament
- Post the results of the battle and celebrate the end of this exiting event!
- Move the spreadsheet to the Archive Directory
This is a new feature, still in the testing phase. The tutorial how to organize one will follow later on.
Now you have learned how to organize a tournament, it is time to put it into practice. Go online and organize your own tournament, or have a look if someone has already planned something.
Want to find new Ortus players? Have a look at the Ortus battleground community on steam and facebook and join us. Ortus players like to play against anyone, so don’t hesitate to make your step in the online multiplayer arena.